September 25, 2015
At a two-day conference the participants have reviewed the initiatives and preventive measures to counteract youth radicalization and interaction between the universities' presidentships, academic staff and relevant authorities of the Commonwealth states.
As a follow-up of the team work, an open appeal has been adopted.
of the participants of the International research and practice conference "Prevention of Youth Involvement into Terrorist and Extremist Organizations" (24-25 September 2015, Belgorod, Russia)
The participants of the International research and practice conference "Prevention of Youth Involvement into Terrorist and Extremist Organizations" held on the initiative of the CIS Anti-Terrorism Center in the Belgorod State Technological University named after V.G. Shukhov on 24-25-September 2015
- voice deep concern over the increased facts of involvement of the youth, including the students of the Russian universities, into activity of the extremist and terrorist organizations, mainly the "Islamic State" terrorist organization;
- consider the political extremism exercised under cover of religious ideas as an extremely dangerous form of destructive activity directed at undermining national security;
- consider it necessary to urgently generate maximum efficient technologies to counteract extremism infiltration into the youth and student environment basing on interaction between the universities, security agencies, law enforcement, public organizations, religious confessions and mass media.
The conference participants hereby confirm their readiness to direct joint efforts to prevent youth involvement into terrorist and extremist organizations and
- call to create a united youth all-Russian patriotic movement intended to intensify social and political activity of the youth, its participation in implementation of large-scale national projects;
– welcome the initiative of the CIS Anti-Terrorism Center to prepare in association with the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation and International News Agency Rossiya Segodnya the Methodological Recommendations "Prevention of Youth Involvement into Terrorist and Extremist Organizations" of applied relevance;
– encourage the initiative of the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation to launch the "hotline" to facilitate timely information on the missing persons believed to be involved into activity of the extremist and terrorist organization, as well as information on the fact of recruitment of young people in the "Islamic State" terrorist organization (prohibited in the Russian Federation) and other extremist and terrorist organizations;
– deem it appropriate to extend the practice of the National Center for Informational Counteraction to Terrorism and Extremism in the Educational Environment and Internet to the federal level;
– recommend the management and academic staff of the Russian universities to conduct educational events directed at prevention of young students' involvement into destructive organizations with the informational support from the territorial security agencies and law enforcement;
– consider it necessary to extend the practice of law enforcement and security agencies' participation in open sessions for young students dedicated to prevention of propagation of extremist, terrorist, nationalist and neo-Nazi ideas;
– suggest that the universities' management shall organize trainings for the teaching staff on assessment, analysis and forecasting of social and political situation in the student's environment;
– deem it appropriate to elaborate and introduce into the universities' curriculum a special course on counteraction to religious-political extremism.
Press Office CIS ATC